Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Gift of Totally Random and Difficult Music

As I continue to learn and grow and expand my horizons using nothing but a internet connection on the company dime, I have found a bunch a great blogs dedicated to sharing rare and out-of-print recordings, for free. It is sites like these that give me hope for the future…Although there are literally hundreds (if not more) out there, the following are a few of the cool ones I have stumbled over recently.
Dinosaur GardensExcavating the tar pits of popular culture – their words, not mine. Has all kinds of cool audio – not just music. Currently has an excellent Trojan Records compilation from 1972 up with a ton of classic reggae, rock steady and ska from waaay back…

Crud Crud – the man behind the site says “I have no impulse control when I walk into a record store.” I totally believe him. Here you will find anything that you never thought you’d need, or want to hear, but are happy to do so, and find yourself spending hours checking out. Everything from kids records to ‘60s French almost-hits and just good old out-of-print, small release recordings from all over. It’s so random and ever so cool.

Nothing IsThis is the jazz that your parents warned you about. Totally out. A+++++
Last but not least, I recently came across a blog named Punk + Free Jazz + Dub = ? Since I don’t read Spanish very well, I’m not totally sure of the entirety of what this site has to offer. But the name alone… fucking perfect.


1 comment:

C2 said...

Nice Recommendations.

Soulsides is one of my daily checks for sweet soul and hip hop.

Enjoy.

http://soul-sides.com/

Chris