Thursday, June 26, 2008

Poo-Tossers and Monkey Pirates


"So how many monkeys would it take before you stopped caring? That's not a rhetorical question. We actually know the number."

Another gem found thru Running the Voodoo Down

This brilliant little piece of satire certainty made an impression on my monkey brain. “What is the Monkeysphere?” somehow manages to identify the root of disharmony in our society, why it is what it is, and what can be done about, in two seriously funny pages of text. I wonder what it says about my intellectual prowess - that I find writing like this to be as profound and thought provoking as anything by Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, or Dr. Phil?

Snippets don't do it justice. It’s the first time I’ve read anything by David Wong (at Cracked.com). More please…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding like I'm separate from all "those others", I definitely see the Monkeysphere in action in all three of my jobs - people do crazy shit to the customers (others), not recognizing that they might be a customer somewhere with shit done to them.

"What goes around comes around" or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" are models for my own living. While I recognize that I can be the nicest person in the world and will still get shit on, I believe in statistics, and that if I do good for someone(s), it will, statistically come back to me in a way that I (very probably) won't recognize when it comes back.

M.Farina said...

I agree. I found the 'Monkeysphere' concept freakishly poignant. Once you start looking around you see it in action in a number of ways. And it's not just others. I see it in myself all too often. But just recognizing it has got to be a big step for... primates like me, anyway.