Friday, September 5, 2008

The Twilight of an Era

Update. I will be taking some time off from posting – just for a week or two, depending on how relaxed I’m allowed to get – and when I return, my schedule is going to dramatically change. What this means is: I’m not sure what the future holds here at (B)HA(B)F, but you can bet it will be full of unsolicited commentary, timely or not…

Before I go, I wanted to leave you with some good stuff to ponder, but I couldn’t think of anything. So here’s some other stuff to check out:

Rhyme Culture links to a sizable collection of photographs from Iraq. Scary place, intense photography.

The Cool Hunter turned me on to the new RV scene. Forget the Winnebago, check out this thing. Remember, it’s not just a hobby – it’s a lifestyle. If I could only afford the gas…

If you need another reason to laugh at Britney Spears, here is a video of a typical Brit performance. Note: the only audio you will hear is coming directly from her microphone. Consider yourself warned. Thanks to Ladies Love Matt E for the link.

I guess Taipei is the new Tokyo, at least that’s what I gather from reading Transmissions from Wintermute. They do some entertaining blogging from Taiwan. Awhile back, they posted about an all girl band called GoChic!. I had to copy and paste their bio:

Biology: this is go chic (caution!! we're electro-hyphy-chiks hybridized punk-blues-rock psycho-fatherfuckeeeeeers, jump yr feeeets uppppp!!! or we'r gonna ATTACK u!)

I wish jazz bios were more like this.

And now for some bloggy ranting. I find it so cleansing. This time, the target is one of my favorites – to bash. He is a musician so overrated I feel compelled to call attention to any wrongdoing I can. Yes, his career has been long and he has won countless accolades from folks with dubious taste… Sorry, I don’t mean to be off-putting, but I’m talking about Eric Clapton. I really can’t stand his music. I don’t personally know the man, but apparently he’s racist, or was back in the seventies.

I can’t begin to cover whole story, though it’s very interesting. By all means, check out the full narrative. My purpose here to simply pile on the man responsible for so much adult contemporary garbage. And I’ve found a good one.

Here is a direct quote from a 1976 concert where we find Mr. Clapton expressing support for Enoch Powell, who was running for Prime Minister at the time:

“ I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"

I bet that was a fun concert, huh?

Speaking of politics - which I try not to do much of on this blog. But I can’t help it, I’ve been keeping up on things with Darcy James Argue – have you seen the footage from outside the Republican National Convention? Check out this, this and this. Two words: Police State. One more reason why they’re already calling this the “Post-American Era.”

Now that I’ve got that out of my system, I can’t leave you with all this negativity, can I? That’s not how I want to be remembered over the break. So in the interest of goodwill and fellowship, I’m ending this post with a video certain to bring a smile to even the most heartless of bastards. It’s dedicated to the Republican Party. Enjoy…



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full disclosure: I like a great deal of Eric Clapton's music.

Damn, that's harsh. He was so high and drunk, he really had no idea which end was up, and has repeatedly made serious amends for his behavior while using/drinking. I generally don't like to be around drunks or addicts who are using, but I think in general it's important to recognize when someone manages to get their head and life together, and let them move past their mistakes. Hell, if there was an audience around recording all the idiot things I said when I got drunk? Bad scene...

And in my opinion, it's hard to get the "racist" label to stick on a guy who spent his life learning from non-white musicians, who is married to a non-white person, and has several as bandmates. And no, he didn't write "Cocaine," but J.J. Cale (who is white, afaik) plays it with him onstage and happily takes the
publishing money for the times that Clapton's version gets aired/pressed/bought. I think it's worth noting Clapton never tried to take the writing credit for it (or I Shot The Sherrif, or Sweet Home Chicago, etc.) unlike plenty of legitimately scuzzy Brits who did that sort of thing repeatedly (Jimmy Page, anyone?) And slighting him for playing a song he didn't write? Everyone who plays music plays covers, even the truly great musicians, that's a cheap shot. For that matter, some of Coltrane's best work came when he was playing another writer's material (My Favorite Things from the Vanguard Again record? Yikes!.) Lastly, what would make Clapton a bluesman? Having black skin? I daresay the implications of that implication might undermine the rest of what you've got to say. Dude, ill-informed rant.

M.Farina said...

Ah-ha! I've figured you out mandolin man! Thanks for commenting. Yeah, I was over-harsh at the end there. I had to do some editing...