Friday, February 8, 2008

Chris, Bella and Karen...

My good friend Chris, who happens to be a connoisseur of tasty pop music (on vinyl, of course) suggested I write up something about Karen Carpenter. Known more for her eating habits then her musicianship, she is a figure I admittedly know little about. And frankly, I can’t think of much to say about her – that hasn’t already been said. Eating disorders are bad. Dying too young is sad.

Superstar is a pretty great song, though.

On another note, Chris has a beautiful young daughter named Bella and I think I should encourage her to become a drummer. You know, some late night jam sessions to keep dad on his toes.

As long as she cleans her plate



3 comments:

C2 said...

What up Matt!
Checking out some of your posts got me a little more focused on drumming, which is good right? hehe. At the same time I was in an odd funk and listening to a Carpenters Album. Now I don't want all your readers to give me shit, there are some good Carpenters tunes, and as you mentioned I am a Pop Music nut - and my eclectic range sometimes sends me down an odd path, hehe. I too knew just one thing about her (the whole anorexic thing) and was hitting up the web for more info. What I learned that I never knew was some big time drummers (Buddy Rich being one) felt she had amazing skills behind the kit. Who knew huh? So where does the drummer stand in pop music? Does the common person realize that a pure god is behind the drums for The Police? And without him they would just sound like Stings solo stuff(yuck)? Or that the dude behind the set(Buddy Miles) for Jimi Hendrix went on to put out some of my favorite albums? Or when people think of the pop music drummer do they only think of that (ouch) Phil Collins dude?
Let me know what you think?
Chris
You can check out Bella and My adventures at

http://anabellac.tumblr.com/

C2 said...

Oh yeah and Matt you need to edit your post to include this.

You go girl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dJUnh6N8-U

M.Farina said...

well, since you're asking! i think it's a pretty common opinion the Stewart Copeland is a badass mofo. Check out any drummer mag from the last few decades and you'll see plenty of references...

As far as pop is concerned... I think you'd have to take it on a case by case basis. I consider Ringo to be one of the greatest... Admittedly, the role of the drummer in most "popular" music is one of a supporting player. The song takes precedence, the vocals are primary and maybe it'll have a good solo or something...